Skip to main content

Car Accident Law : Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by attorney Randolph Wolf

If I am involved in an accident, what should I do?

  • Contact the police and remain at the scene.
  • Exchange insurance information with the other person(s) involved.
  • Give a complete statement of what took place to the police.
  • If you have a camera (cell phone camera would work), take photos of the scene of the accident, the vehicles involved and any injuries to persons.
  • If you are injured, seek medical care.
  • Report the accident to your insurance company and give them a complete statement of what took place.
  • DO NOT speak to or give a written statement to the other party’s insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
  • Obtain an experienced attorney to help you file claims for damages and/or personal injuries.

** How soon should I obtain a lawyer?**

You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible after an accident to determine your rights and responsibilities. Do not provide the other party’s insurance company with a statement, or take any other action until you are able to do so.

** What if I cannot afford an attorney?**

Randolph Wolf, attorney at law, may be willing to work with you on a contingency basis- this means you will only pay the attorney fees if he successfully obtains a recovery for you.

** How do I go about filing an insurance claim?**

  • Contact a lawyer before making any statements or signing your name to any paperwork!
  • Make sure that you keep records of personal injury and property damage so that you can be compensated.
  • Record any doctor visits, treatments received, expenses, and travel.
  • Note time and date of any conversations with the insurance representatives along with their name and office phone number.
  • Know your rights—right to obtain your own physician and not be assigned one by the insurance company, your right to receive an unbiased estimate of damages to your vehicle and/or property, and more.
  • Familiarize yourself with what is covered under your insurance policy.
  • Consult your attorney about your right to be fairly compensated.

** What kind of compensation can I get and how?**

The state of New Jersey requires all motorists to carry liability insurance on their vehicles. In the case of an accident, the insurance companies are responsible for paying for certain damages including personal injuries. Common types of compensation are payment of medical bills, loss of wages, and compensation for pain and suffering. Contact Randolph Wolf today to find out what kind of compensation you are entitled to receive under law. Failure to know your rights and to act accordingly can and will result in loss of a claim.

** How much is my claim worth and how long does it take to get it?**

Filing a suit for claim from automobile accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, wrongful death suits, hit-and-run cases, seatbelt failure and related cases can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to complete depending on the extent of your injuries, length of medical treatment, circumstances of your case, and various other factors.

The value of your claim varies depending on a number of factors including: circumstances surrounding the cause and type of accident, severity of injuries, medical treatment, your health condition before and after the accident, your ability to perform your usual job functions before and after the accident, and a number of other factors. Randolph Wolf will give you a full evaluation to determine a fair amount of compensation for your personal injuries once the full extent of the injuries is known.

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Recommended articles about Personal injury

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer