Skip to main content

Can the state take my home if i go on medi-cal?

If you receive Medi-Cal and pass away, the state, through the Department of Healthcare Services, has a program called the Estate Recovery Unit. What that unit's job is to get paid back for any money that they spent on your care. Oftentimes, your children don't have the money to pay off your medical bills, so the state will look to your home to get paid back. We can prevent having to pay the state back and protect the equity in your family home.

Additional resources provided by the author

Rate this guide

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer