Can I Travel While My Petition Is Pending?
Whether or not you can travel abroad while your petition is pending depends on a variety of factors.
Can I travel while a change of status petition is pending?You should not travel outside of the United States while this petition is pending. Leaving
the country will cause USCIS to consider your petition for a change of status to be
abandoned. Your underlying petition may still be approved, but you would have to apply
for a visa abroad to re-enter the United States.
Can I travel while an extension of status petition is pending?* You must be in the United States when the petition for an extension is filed with USCIS.
Thereafter, travel is permissible.
* If the extension is approved while you are abroad, you must re-enter the United States
using the new Approval Notice. This means that documents will need to be sent to you
* If you try to re-enter the United States using your old Approval Notice, you would only
be admitted until the expiration date of the old Approval Notice, and you would likely
have to travel abroad again to have this corrected.
* You must alert your immigration team of any travel plans while your extension is
Can I travel while my extension of status petition is pending and my current visa has expired?* You should not travel abroad under the above circumstances, because you need a current
approval notice and visa to re-enter the United States.
* If you must travel while your extension is pending and your visa has expired, you will
need to remain outside of the United States until your petition is approved.
* Your case may be upgraded to premium processing to accelerate the adjudication
Can I travel after changing employers?* If you have changed employers, you will need the valid Approval Notice for the new
employer and a current visa to re-enter the United States.
* If you have a valid visa from your previous employer, you may use that in conjunction
with your new employer petition*s Approval Notice.