Written by attorney Guichard St. Surin

Can I make my support payments directly to my ex-spouse? Should I?


You can but we recommend you not to. Because it is going to be hard for you to keep track of the amount of support payment you’ve made throughout the years. If you do not have receipt and your ex-spouses say, “Hey, they never made that payment to me.” Then, guess what? The court would pretty much tell you you have to make that payment to the ex-spouse. The best way to do it is to have it being automatically taken out from your paycheck each month or bi-weekly. By doing so, now you have proper documentation of the support payment you’ve been making to your ex-spouse.

Additional resources provided by the author

At the Guardian Law Firm, we believe in the sanctity of marriage. It is our goal to provide you with as many resources to help salvage your marriage. If all else fails, we are here to help you facilitate the divorce process to establish long-term stability that minimizes the need for subsequent court action as well as the emotional drain on the parties and families. We strive to provide the best client service possible in a warm and welcoming environment. To that end, we place a high priority on detail, value, service, and communication, beginning with the initial consultation, and continuing even after the matter is resolved. We are committed to providing the kind of service and environment that we all want as consumers. With representation and the right attorneys in their corner, our clients will return to being the productive citizens and family members they have been and wanted to be again. We truly are here to serve the one. For more information, Please visit our website or schedule a consultation.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer