Skip to main content

Can I get alternative sentencing for a DUI?

Posted by attorney Jeremy Geigle

It is possible for a DUI case to result in a plea agreement, especially if you have an experienced DUI defense attorney on your side. An attorney can attempt to negotiate for alternatives to jail time with the prosecution. Some alternatives in certain circumstance and jurisdictions may include:

  • Work release (May leave jail to go to work but must return to the jail at night).
  • Work furlough (Allows you to keep your job and go to work during the day but with much stricter restrictions than work release).
  • Home arrest (Involves wearing an ankle bracelet that will alert authorities if perimeter is breached).
  • City jail (Much less crowded, cleaner and safer than serving a jail sentence in a county jail).
  • Drug or alcohol treatment program

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?