Written by attorney Michael T Gibson | Apr 17, 2013

Can I file a personal injury lawsuit against an underage driver who caused my car accident?

Although many people are hesitant to file a lawsuit against an underage or young driver, you can do so. In most cases, the driver will be treated as an adult in a lawsuit because driving is seen as a privilege in which the driver is choosing to take on an adult responsibility. It can be difficult to decide whether or not to file a lawsuit, if the driver is young. However, you must remember that the other driver’s negligence or carelessness caused damages to you and your property. As an injured party, you reserve the right to file a claim for compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of wages, property damage, etc.

Additional resources provided by the author

Rate this guide

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer