Written by attorney Alan James Brinkmeier

Can I Be Sued While On Active Duty in the Military?

The Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA) is a federal law that provides special legal protections and help to members of our Armed Forces who are on active duty. You need to be on active duty for the law to apply to you. Congress passed this law so that legal actions may be put on hold for service members during active duty military service. SCRA only applies to civil legal matters. For additional information about SCRA and other legal rights, contact the Veterans Legal Assistance Project.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer