Written by attorney Svetlana Prizant

Automatic U.S. Citizenship for Children by Birth To Citizen Parents

A child can, under certain circumstances, acquire U.S. citizenship automatically through birth to U.S. citizen parents, no matter where the birth took place. This is called "acquisition" of U.S. citizenship.

Additional resources provided by the author

What to Do If You Didn’t Meet the Requirements for Retaining Your U.S. Citizenship If you were born and raised outside the U.S., you may have not known that you acquired U.S. citizenship at birth from your parents or grandparents. You may have then lost your U.S. citizenship by failing to fulfill the requirements related to U.S. residency. The U.S. Congress sought to deal with this unfair situation by adding a law saying that such persons can get their U.S. citizenship back by simply taking the oath of allegiance to the United States. The relevant statute is 8 U.S.C. § 1435(d)(1), I.N.A. § 324(d)(1).

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer