Written by attorney Thomas Esparza Jr.

USCIS Change of Address Online

USCIS Online Change of Address

Introduction Para tener acceso a este sitio en Español, presione aquí. (

Online Change of Address is a web-based tool that allows you to change your address online so that USCIS can contact you regarding your status. Customers who have filed an application or petition with USCIS but have not yet received a decision (a "pending" case) should notify USCIS of any change of address as soon as possible after moving.

In addition to changing your address for a pending application the law requires that all non-U.S. citizens, except for holders of A or G visas, report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a USCIS Form AR-11, Change of Address.

Please follow the instructions below before filing an Online Change of Address to ensure that you follow the correct procedures.

  1. U.S. Citizens

If you have moved, and you have a pending case, you can change your address online here on our website. Please note that the law does not require U.S. citizens to file a Form AR-11.

  1. Non-U.S. Citizens

If you have moved, you need to follow two different steps:

  • Step 1: File a Form AR-11 (This changes your address in our master database.);
  • Step 2: If you have a pending case, you must also file a Change of Address online or call our National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283. (This changes your address for the specific application you have submitted.)

Please note that if you are a non-U.S. citizen and you have a pending case, you must complete both steps to make sure that you comply with the regulations and so we can reach you at your correct address.

  1. The Process

If you want to change your address online and/or file a Form AR-11 using our Online Change of Address Notification tool, you will need to have certain information available. Please have the following information available before you begin:

  • Your receipt notice or other notice we sent you showing your receipt number (if you have a pending case with USCIS);
  • Your new address;
  • Your old address;
  • If you have filed a petition for a family member, the names and biographical information for that person.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen, please also have:

  • The date when you last entered the United States (If you cannot remember, please fill in an approximate date.);
  • The location where you last entered the United States (the port of entry where you entered – whether by land, sea, or air).

How do I submit my change of address if I don't have my receipt number?

  • If you don't have a case pending with USCIS and only need to file an AR-11, you won’t need a receipt number.
  • If you have a case pending with USCIS but don't have your receipt number, you can still submit your change of address:
  • If you paid by check: Look at the back of the cancelled check that was returned to you through your bank. On the back is the 13-digit USCIS receipt number which looks like this: ABC 01 23456789 (but will have different letters and numbers). Use your 13-digit number when you are asked to enter your receipt number in the change-of-address form.
  • If you paid by money order: You can report your change of address by calling USCIS Customer Service toll-free at 1-800-375-5283. A USCIS Customer Service Representative will be able to enter your new address for you.

Reprint Electronic AR-11 Form

If you have previously submitted an Electronic AR-11 form on this site, you can reprint another copy of your Electronic AR-11 form (

Additional resources provided by the author

Thomas Esparza, Jr. Attorney A Professional Corporation Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law Thomas Esparza, Board Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality law with thirty four years experience in the field. He is the past chairman of the Texas chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the current chairman of the Austin Commission on Immigrant Affairs. Jacqueline L. Waston is a Board Certified Specialist In Immigration and Nationality law with 11 years experience. She is a frequent lecturer for the University of Texas, the State Bar of Texas and is an active member of the community. “Blessed is the nation whose God is Lord” La Madrid Building. 1811 S. 1st Street, Austin, TX 78704 512-441-0062 visit me at: write to us at: [email protected] [email protected] Starlight Press Bilingual Educational Publishing

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer