Written by attorney Jon Martinez

Arizona- Is it possible to clear your criminal record? Yes!

If you have been previously convicted of a crime, you know firsthand the punishment from your crimes goes far beyond any fines or jail time the court may have imposed. Having a criminal record can prevent you from getting a job, can prevent you from obtaining financial aid for college and have a serious stigma attached to it.

In Arizona, it is possible to have your criminal record expunged, or set aside, if a number of different factors are also met. By getting your criminal conviction set aside, you may be able to actually tell potential employers that you have never been convicted of a crime. There are many other benefits of getting your record set aside as well. For example, if you have previously been convicted of a DUI, once you have your record set aside, you may quickly find your insurance premiums drastically lowered. If you have moved on from your conviction, but find that it is simply impossible to move forward without your past haunting you, call an attorney today who may be able to help you set aside your guilty judgment and help you move on with your life.

Am I eligible to have my record set aside?

In Arizona, you have to meet a number of requirements in order to have your criminal record set aside. In order to be eligible to have your record set aside, you must have fulfilled all of the conditions that the court required, including finishing your probation and jail time, paying all of your fines, completing your community service, and anything else the court requires.

In addition, it is not possible to have certain crimes expunged from your record in Arizona. These crimes include:

  • A crime involving the infliction of serious physical injury
  • Any crime where you are required to register as a sex offender
  • Any crime where there was a finding of sexual motivation
  • A crime involving the use of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument
  • A violation of driving on a suspended driver’s license
  • A crime where the victim was under the age of 15 years old

If you have been convicted of a crime and completed your sentence, but find that your conviction is holding you back in life, it may be possible to have your criminal record set aside. For more information, feel free to give me a call.

Additional resources provided by the author

Jon M. Martinez Attorney at Law Jon M. Martinez Criminal Law Group 40 North Central Avenue, Suite 1400 Phoenix, Arizona 85004 (480) 745-1572 [email protected]

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer