Appointment of Counsel - Affidavit of Indigency - Sample Form - North Carolina - LEGAL REFERENCE
The appointment of counsel process in North Carolina normally includes executing of an "Affidavit of Indigency." http://forms.lp.findlaw.com/form/courtforms/state/nc/nc000502.pdf (http://forms.lp.findlaw.com/form/courtforms/state/nc/nc000502.pdf)
As noted within the application for legal counsel, the Court will review financial information such as income & expenses prior to making a determination of "indegency" and Ordering representation.
Appointed attorneys, whether through an Office of the Public Defender or private attorney on a contract basis, are NOT necessarily free. If convicted of an offense, the Court may order restitution to the State of North Carolina for the fees associated with legal representation.
The North Carolina General Assembly laws regarding Indigency are found in Chapter 7A-450
Additional resources provided by the author
- North Carolina Murder Manslaughter & Serious Felony Legal Help
- Bill Powers - Best Lawyers in America - Criterion for Inclusion & Membership
- Super Lawyers NC Magazine - Bill Powers - Criterion for Inclusion & Membership
- "Indigency" in North Carolina - NCGS
- Affidavit of Indigency - Sample Form - North Carolina
- Criminal Defense Lawyers Charlotte NC
- North Carolina Criminal Laws FAQs
- Listen to Law Talk with Bill Powers - Homicide: What to do when You or a Loved One is Facing Murder or Manslaughter Charges in North Carolina