Written by attorney Jonathan Torres

Amending Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate

Recently I have had people ask me about how to correct errors in marriage certificates. Well, why is this important? It is important especially for purposes of immigration law. Why? Because any inconsistencies or errors in them might delay your immigration process. It is easy to correct errors in marriage certificates. If you were married in Florida, you will have to go to the county where you got... married and go to the marriage license division. Bring all supporting documents, including birth certificate, I.D., Social Security Card. If you got married elsewhere contact the Department of Vital Statistics of that State. If you are unsure of how to do this, do not hesitate to contact our office. Now as far as the birth certificate, you will have to correct these errors directly through the Department of Vital Statistics. Contact Attorney Jonathan Torres to help you with this process. It is important to modify these errors before submitting any application to immigration. For example: if you were born in Venezuela and your marriage certificate indicates that you were born in Puerto Rico, this may cause a problem. It is easy to fix and get it amended.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer