Aggravated Level 1 DWI - STATUTORY REFERENCE MATERIALS
(f3) Aggravated Level One Punishment. – A defendant subject to Aggravated Level One punishment may be fined up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000) and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment that includes a minimum term of not less than 12 months and a maximum term of not more than 36 months. Notwithstanding G.S. 15A-1371, a defendant sentenced to a term of imprisonment pursuant to this subsection shall not be eligible for parole. However, the defendant shall be released from the Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety on the date equivalent to the defendant's maximum imposed term of imprisonment less four months and shall be supervised by the Section of Prisons of the Division of Adult Correction under and subject to the provisions of Article 84A of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes and shall also be required to abstain from alcohol consumption for the four-month period of supervision as verified by a continuous alcohol monitoring system. For purposes of revocation, violation of the requirement to abstain from alcohol or comply with the use of a continuous alcohol monitoring system shall be deemed a controlling condition under G.S. 15A-1368.4.
The term of imprisonment may be suspended only if a condition of special probation is imposed to require the defendant to serve a term of imprisonment of at least 120 days. If the defendant is placed on probation, the judge shall impose as requirements that the defendant (i) abstain from alcohol consumption for a minimum of 120 days to a maximum of the term of probation, as verified by a continuous alcohol monitoring system pursuant to subsections (h1) and (h3) of this section, and (ii) obtain a substance abuse assessment and the education or treatment required by G.S. 20-17.6 for the restoration of a drivers license and as a condition of probation. The judge may impose any other lawful condition of probation.
Additional resources provided by the author
- North Carolina General Statutes - DWI Sentencing
- Super Lawyers North Carolina - TOP 100 - Bill Powers - Criterion for Inclusion & Membership Information
- Best Lawyers in America - Bill Powers - North Carolina - Criterion for Inclusion & Membership Information
- North Carolina DWI Legal Help - 704-342-HELP
- Bill Powers – Professional Bio - Criminal Defense Lawyers Charlotte NC
- North Carolina DUI/DWI Checkpoint Laws
- What is Probable Cause in North Carolina Impaired Driving
- What is an Indictment in North Carolina?