Written by attorney John Kiritsis

A Guide to a Federal Employer Identification Number (commonly known as EIN)?

One of the biggest issues, when dealing with new businesses, start ups and entity structuring, revolve around Federal Employer Identification Numbers (commonly referred to as FEINs, or more simply as EINs). Hopefully, this guide provides a basic, yet broad understanding regarding EINs.

Additional resources provided by the author

Some useful additional resources, are provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself. Their Business and Specialty Tax Line is 1-800-829-4933 TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059. Another possible and potentially useful source is the U.S. Small Business Administration. Their national office is at 409 3rd Street, Washington DC 20416. The U.S. SBA General Inquiry Answering Desk is 1-800-827-5722 GENERAL DISCLAIMER: The decision of whether and how to obtain a FEIN is a serious one, and ideally should involve major discussion with your attorney and tax professional. I am NOT your attorney, and I am NOT your tax adviser. The information contained herein, are for general information purposes. The information discussed herein, does NOT constitute to a legal advice or the substitute thereof.

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer