A Guide For New Immigrants In the United States
PROBLEMS FACING NEW IMMIGRANTS IN THE UNITED STATES
There are many laws in the United States that are different from other states.* Massage without a license issued by the state is a FELONY.
* Prostitution (not the boss) is typically a misdemeanor.
* Selling fake bags, clothing, jewelry, cd/dvd*s is illegal!
* To work legally, it is important to get a work authorization from USCIS, a Social Security Card and file your taxes every year with the IRS and State.
* There are places that will provide low-cost or free English learning services. Ex. YMCA.
* Be cautious of places that claim to teach English that just take your money.
* Be careful of money scams such as identity theft, fake lottery winnings, bank scams, bad checks, etc.. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!
* There are services for victims of domestic violence and human trafficking.
* There are minimum wage, age, overtime and safety laws that protect workers. When you are working a legal job, you should be receiving pay stubs and pay notices.
* If you can not afford an attorney, there are pro bono attorneys available to help you in every county, every state.
* Any arrest can result in a deportation order and/or affect your immigration status. Crimes of moral turpitude (theft, drugs, promoting prostitution, burglary, robbery, rape, murder, etc) can lead deportation.
BUSINESS OWNERS NEED TO KNOW THE RULES AND EMPLOYEES NEED TO KNOW THEIR RIGHTS!IF YOU FEEL YOU THINK YOU MAY BE A VICTIM, CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY