Skip to main content

A General Partnership's Use of a Fictitious Business Name

Posted by attorney Justin Lowenthal

A general partnership must register a "Fictitious Business Name Statement" (d.b.a. or “doing business as") with the county clerk of the county of the partnership's principal place of business.

Fictitious business names are not filed with the Secretary of State’s Office, and filing a Statement of Partnership Authority (GP-1) does not excuse a partnership from registration, unless the partnership is operating under a name which includes the surname of each of the general partners. There is no provision in California for registration, in a central registry at the state level, of fictitious business names. The partnership must contact the city and/or county clerk and/or recorder where the principal place of business is located for information regarding filing or registering fictitious business names.

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?