You can create many problems or issues in your case by doing simple things. You should seek advice in contemplation of a chapter 7 before engaging in any of these activities.
The 7 Things not to do
1. Do Not sell, give away, transfer or dispose of any assets
2. Do Not pay any relative or friends money that you owe them
3. Do Not use any credit cards or other lines of credit
4. Do Not gamble
5. Do Not purchase any luxury items
6. Do Not cash-out or take a loan against any retirement account
7. Do Not refinance any asset or take out a new loan using an existing asset
What SHOULD you do before a chapter 7?
The answer is rather simple - consult with a bankruptcy attorney. You can get solid legal advice that will help alleviate headaches in the future.
Our Rating is calculated using information the lawyer has included on
their profile in addition to the information we collect from state
bar associations and other organizations that license legal
professionals. Attorneys who claim their profiles and provide Avvo
with more information tend to have a higher rating than those who do
What determines Avvo Rating?
Experience & background
Years licensed, work experience, education
Legal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awards
Legal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagements
This lawyer was disciplined by a state licensing authority in .
Disciplinary information may not be comprehensive, or updated. We recommend that you always check a lawyer's disciplinary status with their respective state bar association before hiring them.