5 To-do Tips after a California Car Accident
Any California resident is in threat of getting involved in a car accident as data suggest. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in the year 2006, more than 4,000 people were killed in car accidents in the state. Because of the relatively high fatality rate involving road accidents in California, it is necessary for state residents, especially motorists and pedestrians, to know the steps they should do in case they get involved in a traffic mishap. Even if you are a responsible and safe driver, you are not accident-proof because there are certain California drivers who care less about their own and other people’s safety. Hence, it is vital for you to know beforehand the information about claiming for personal injury damages. The following are some of the tips you can do in case you get involved or injured in a car accident in California:
- Seek medical attention right away – You first priority if you got involved in a car accident is your health. No matter how minor your injury may seem, it is best for you to seek medical treatment promptly because some injuries may appear minor but they can trigger major injuries.
- Report the incident to authorities – Make sure that you call the police right after the accident. When the authorities arrive at the scene, tell them all the details of the accident, such as the time of mishap, its cause, and other related information. Do not miss any important information as it may lead in incomplete police report.
- Get the driver’s information – It is necessary for you to get the driver’s personal and contact information, such as his or her full name, address, contact number, driver’s license number, plate number, and other related information.
- Get witnesses’ information – If there are people who witnessed the accident, it is advisable for you to get their information as they can stand as witnesses in case you decide to claim for personal injury damages.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer – Under the law, if you were injured in a car accident caused by another individual, you have the right to claim for personal injury damages. Hence, it is advisable for you to hire an accident attorney who can assist you in claiming for compensations. Your lawyer is the one who will give you advices, represent you, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. If the accident happened in Los Angeles, you would find it helpful to hire a Los Angeles car accident attorney who can help you claim for damages.