2011 Points System - North Carolina Governor's Highway Safety Program
N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program 2011 Points System
The Governor’s Highway Safety Program’s Points System encourages participation at GHSP-sponsored events and highway safety initiatives. Below you will find a breakdown of the criteria for which your agency can receive points and a list of rewards you are eligible for based on your point total.
All submission forms are subject to review and approval by the GHSP staff to ensure accuracy. For clear definitions of the point earning activities, see the definitions below.
• In order to receive points, you must complete a GHSP Point Submission Form, which is available online on our web site at: http://www.ncdot.gov/programs/GHSP. Click “Points System" and login with your online reporting username and password.
• The point year will be based on GHSP’s grant fiscal year, which means that the 2011 Points System year will begin Oct. 1, 2010, and end Sept. 30, 2011.
• Points can be carried over year to year, but can only be cashed in or redeemed once each year.
• There is a four day-time traffic safety checking station limit for which an agency can receive points in a given month; however, during the month of May, this will be waived to encourage agencies to participate before and during “Click It or Ticket."
• A sign-in sheet will be available at all GHSP-sponsored activities; therefore, you will not have to complete a submission form. Make sure a representative from your agency signs in at these events.
• GHSP keeps track of online reporting; therefore, a submission form is not necessary to receive points for online reporting.
• When submitting a multi-agency checking station, only include the number of officers from your agency and citations that your department issues. Each agency participating is responsible for listing their own citation totals when submitting the activity for points.
• Declined submissions show explanations in the notes block. Submissions that can be amended with correct data can be re-submitted for approval. All blocks must be complete and accurate, so double-check before you submit!
• Attention Grant-Funded Agencies: o All grant-funded agencies are required to meet the minimum
requirements of their contract. Funded agencies will only receive points for those activities that are completed beyond those included in your grant contract.
o You need to submit points for EVERYTHING. GHSP will deduct 1,000 points at the end of the year based on your contract.
1• Redeemable Items o Points can be carried over year to year, but can only be cashed in or
redeemed once each year (typically in October).
*These items will be treated as a highway safety project that will require a grant and contract.
Class II ANSI-Traffic Vest
Single Antenna Radar Unit
Time-Distance Speed Instruments
Dual Antenna Radar Unit
Possible Point Earning Activities
Hosting a Bike Safe Class
Assisting with a Bike Safe Class
Enrolling a “Click It or Ticket" High School
Hosting a night-time traffic safety checking station (multi-agency)
Participating in a departmental night-time traffic safety checking station
Participating in night-time traffic safety checking station (multi-agency)
Hosting a day-time traffic safety checking station (multi-agency).
*Agencies will only receive points for up to 4 day-time traffic safety checking stations per month.
Participating in a departmental day-time traffic safety checking station*
Participating in a day-time traffic safety checking station (multi- agency)*
Conduct Saturation Patrol or “Wolfpack" *Agencies will only receive points two saturation patrols per month.
Having a BAT Mobile present at checking station. *Only the host agency will receive points.
Reporting online during campaigns
50 (per week)
Hosting a CPS clinic or seat checking station
Participating in a CPS clinic or seat checking station
Attending a GHSP kickoff event
25 (per agency)
Hosting an educational event
Attending GHSP-sponsored event other than a kickoff
25 (per agency)
Agency representative at GHSP Summit
25 (per agency)
Hosting media events at agency events
100% online reporting for the entire year, all campaigns.
Hosted Night-time Traffic Safety Checking Station Multi-agency
Three or more agencies participating in a checking station (3 includes the host agency) with a minimum of 2 officers for a minimum of 2 hours during the hours between 9 p.m.-6 a.m.
Participated in Night-time Traffic Safety Checking Station Multi-agency
One officer for a minimum of 2 hours during the hours between 9 p.m.-6 a.m.
Participated in Night-time Departmenta l Traffic Safety Checking Station
Conducting a checking station with your own agency as the only participant, with two or more officers and for a minimum of 2 hours during the hours between 9 p.m.-6 a.m.
Hosted Day-time Traffic Safety Checking Station Multi-agency
Three or more agencies participating in a checking station (3 includes the host agency) with a minimum of 2 officers for a minimum of 1 hour during the hours between 6 a.m.-9 p.m.
Participated in Day-time Traffic Safety Checking Station Multi-agency
One officer for a minimum of 1 hour during the hours between 6 a.m.-9 p.m.
Participated in Day-time Departmental Traffic Safety Checking Station
Conducting a checking station with your own agency as the only participant, with two or more officers and for a minimum of 1 hour during the hours between 6 a.m.-9 p.m.
Conduct Saturation Patrol “Wolfpack"
Must include a formal briefing and debriefing, 8 officers for 4 continuous hours.
A GHSP-Sponsored Event
Events such as “Click It or Ticket" and “Booze It & Lose It" kickoffs, “Tree of Life," and LE Summits.
Enroll a “Click It or Ticket" School
When an agency/officer is actively involved in recruiting a school to participate in this GHSP program. The school must enroll and participate for one school year. Officer must notify GHSP for points.
Program for a local school or organization relating to highway safety. Please describe subject of workshop.
Hosting a CPS Clinic or Seat Check
Three or more agencies participating for a minimum of 2 hours. Must include names of agencies on form.
Participating in a CPS Clinic or Seat Check
Two or more officers for a minimum of 1 hour. Please list agencies participating.
Hosting a Bike Safe Class
Serve as the host agency for a Bike Safe class by arranging the class.
Participating in a Bike Safe Class
Assist a host agency with a Bike Safe class.
Anytime you invite media to an agency event or program. Another example would be holding a press event for a recent grant your agency has received from GHSP. Please list media attending.
Additional resources provided by the author
- Criminal Defense Lawyers in North Carolina
- Bill Powers – Professional Bio - Criminal Defense Lawyers Charlotte NC
- What are the Top 3 Things to do If Arrested
- Charlotte Traffic Violations
- Bill Powers – Best Lawyers in America – Membership Info & Criterion for Inclusion
- Bill Powers – Super Lawyers NC Magazine – Information & Criteria to be Included
- What is an Indictment in North Carolina?
- Larceny-Felony or Misdemeanor?
- I'm just sayin' - President Bill Powers - NCAJ.com
- Listen to Law Talk with Bill Powers - What To Do When You Receive a Traffic Ticket in North Carolina