Written by attorney John Griffin Watts

"Now that my judgment has been satisfied, what happens with my credit report?"

Once the judgment against you has been satisfied, here are some steps you should take.

First, you need to check your credit reports.

If they're not reporting a judgment, then you're good.

When a judgment has been satisfied, you no longer owe any money on the judgment.

So if your credit report appears to show you still owing the money, then you can dispute it through the credit reporting agencies. If they don't update your reports to show the judgment as paid off (satisfied), then you need to look into suing the credit reporting agencies under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) for false credit reporting.

Hope this helps you!

Additional resources provided by the author

Free Q&A with lawyers in your area

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer