Skip to main content

Yearly Fees for Patent and Trademark?

Redding, CA |

Is there any other fees for the patent and trademark should paid every year.
Thanks in advance.

+ Read More

Filed under: Transportation law
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

There are no yearly fees for patents. But trademarks have renewal fees and a host of other fees for additional filings. See the link below for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.


There are no yearly fees. And there are lots of fees, for different things. Please see the link below.

More importantly, since your question indicates confusion about what these forms of IP are and how they work, get the guide linked below, or one like it, and see an IP lawyer for help.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Patents: All utility patents which issue from applications filed on or after December 12, 1980 are subject to maintenance fees. These fees are due 3 1/2, 7 1/2 and 11 1/2 years from the date of the original patent grant. See the PTO Fee Schedule may be found at under "Patent Maintenance Fees"

Trademarks: You must file a $100 fee per class for filing a Statement of Use of a trademark. A Statement of Use is an oath filed by the applicant or the applicant's attorney, in which the applicant makes an "allegation of use" that he/she is actually using the trademark in interstate commerce in connection with the goods and services originally filed for. This will have to be filed within 6 months of receiving a Notice of Allowance from the PTO. If you are not using the mark when you receive the Notice of Allowance, you can apply for extensions to file your Statement of Use, for up to 36 months from the date of the Notice of Allowance. These extensions have to be filed every 6 months, require payment of a $150 fee, and after the first extension, require a showing that the applicant is endeavoring to begin use of the mark in commerce.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer