Skip to main content

Wull being fired from a previous job for stealing show up on my background check and can I get it removed?

Baltimore, MD |

I have already payed back the money and no charges were filed. i have no other criminal history.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Since no charges were filed, it will not appear on a search of the public judicial records. If you were arrested, you can file a petition to have those arrest records expunged.

However, you cannot "expunge" the memory of your previous employer. Any potential employer will likely ask you "why did you leave your previous job?" and may contact that former employer. There is nothing you can do to prevent your former employer from telling the truth about your theft, and termination for cause.


Unlikely. But as Attorney Valkenet stated, a new employer will probably ask you about your previous employment and has the right to call that previous employer and inquire about your termination. - This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


There is nothing to prevent a potential employer from calling a former employer -- who may legally advise that you were fired for cause if it's the truth.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer