Wrongful Termination/Defamation

Irwin, PA |

I was terminated based on false statements made by my boss, to his superiors. He stated that I was leaving work without telling him(which never happened), and that I had a temper(which was completely untrue). He made these comments to his superiors, to our client, and to vendors that I was working with. Our client vehemently stated that they did not want me terminated, and vendors have come to me with the comments that he made. I live in a right to work state, so filing a wrongful termination will not work, plus less than two days after being terminated, I was hired by another company,. My question is, can I sue him for defamation of character, since his comments were unfounded and untrue? How does someone determine what monetary figure to sue for, if there is a case? Thanks!

the good news is that you were promptly hired by another company and hopefully a competitor. you might consult with a PA attorney but my recommendation would be to avoid getting into a very costly, time consuming and unproductive venture. you are justifiably angry but the best revenge is to be a great employee for the new company. eventually your old company will recognize that and your old boss may find himself the victim of his own dishonesty. i say move forward in a positive way and avoid lawsuits when you can.

Mr Rubino, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I was very surprised by the termination, and the allegations that my supervisor made. I think it had a lot to do with some "improper" purchases that were made, that I had discovered. I had a great work record, and great reviews up until that point. I'm not, nor was I angry at being terminated. I just don't really understand how someone can be fired for no reason. States should vacate the "Right To Work" status and make it illegal for a termination to happen without a reason. Too many good people are let go simply because a supervisor or manager feels threatened by them. When I was told about my termination, I asked for an Ombudsman (which I thought I had the right to do), and was told no. I'm not really looking for a monetary judgement against my former employer, or my former supervisor. I just want an apology. From what I understand, I wasn't the first person he did this to. As crazy as it sounds, if I were to file a defamation claim, I would do it myself, just to catch their attention, or have attention brought to this matter. I don't see myself spending a lot of time or money to bring this suit. Like I said, I just want them to be notified of the pending suit, so that I can potentially have my apology. Again, thanks for your time!

Terrence Marc Rubino

Terrence Marc Rubino

idk PA law but there is in other places whistleblower laws which protect people who discover improprieties and end up getting terminated. you might want to consult with a PA employment lawyer. i really wouldn't try filing any kind of suit without a lawyer. there will be counterclaims and it will be a mess by yourself. good luck.

Unfortunately, even though I physically saw the improprieties, I have no proof of them. I was terminated before I could obtain the proof needed. As you stated in your first reply, I think I'm just going to continue doing the good work that I do for my employer. I just need to put this behind me, and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Have a great day Mr Rubino!

Defamation lawyers typically want a $5000.00 retainer to begin, so unless you have sustained a significant monetary loss, the case could cost thousands more than would be recovered, but discuss with a local Irwin defamation lawyer

I agree with my colleagues. It is fortunate that you were hired quickly. Move on and prove them wrong in your new job.