Skip to main content

Wrongful Termination, Contingency attorney?

Portland, OR |

I was wrongfully terminated and need some advice. Early on with the company I was harrassed for the speaking louder than most and had to disclose my hearing loss so that they would quit hounding me. My job became more and more stressful, most the time when i came home, I wished to speak with HR but they were closed by 5pm and I worked 8 amd to 6:30, that being said, I had to call EAP several times during lunch breaks for so much distress but performed my job very well. I also started documenting things. I tried to fight my termination by myself but the internal investigator said she wish she sould give me my job back but couldn't. That being said, the manager that was once there is not anymore. So many details but I just need a contingency attorney to explain so I can see if I have a case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Try the "Find a Lawyer" tool at (National Employment Lawyers Association); there are plenty of employee-side employment attorneys in your area.

No Attorney-Client Relationship. This post has been prepared by Daniel Velton of Velton Zegelman PC for general informational purposes only. The information provided herein does not constitute advertising, a solicitation or legal advice. Neither the availability, transmission, receipt nor use of any information included herein is intended to create, or constitutes formation of, an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege. You should not rely upon this post for any purpose without seeking legal advice from licensed attorneys in your state.


You can call the Oregon State Bar for a referral at 503-684-3763.

I'm sure you can find someone who will give you an initial consultation, to see if you have a case, for free. I don't practice much employment law, but my understanding is that such cases generally don't end with large fee awards, unless a claim is made for discrimination or harassment against the employer. If it's just wrongful termination, then the remedy you would get would instead be unemployment compensation, or possibly reinstatement. So you're not likely to get an attorney who will work on a contingent fee basis. You may be able to find someone who can work out of the hope of an attorney fee award - depending on the strength of your case - but you're likely to have to front some initial costs, for the investigation.

This is a recurring problem, I've noticed. People experience some hardship or hurt (which may or may not be legally actionable), and they expect this entitles them to free representation, without having to expend any of their own money or energy. This is almost never how it works.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer