Skip to main content

Would money from a personal injury lawsuit annuity be considered income when applying for medical assistance?

Wilkes Barre, PA |

i receive money from a personal injury annuity and was wondering if it was considered income towards medical assistance because if it is considers income ( even tho its not taxed by the government ) then i don't qualify

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


With a few exceptions this money would count as income against medical assistance. You may want to speak to an attorney who handles government benefits eligibility, you can find one on AVVO.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


It may be -- make ure you ask the entity from which you are seeking benefits. If, for example,you are seeking Medicaid, I can guarantee you that a personal injury settlement is something that will be considered on the dolalrs you are eligible to receive.

Good luck to you -- whatever you do, don't dance around the truth on this stuff as it may jeopardize potential assistance.


In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


There are programs which are need based, such as SSI and medicaid. I think monthly income of 2k for an individual will make you ineligible. You can check with the program for the eligibility reqts. Income from a settlement annuity will be counted against you.
Befre we settle cases, we check to see what programs the client is on or likely will need. Then the settlement can be structured in a way to preserve eligibility. Primarily this was done with special needs trusts or a pooled spec needs trust. I would suggest you talk to a malpractice atty to see if the atty who represented you may have been negligent. You may want to talk with an elder law atty or otherbenefits atty to see if there is anything you can do at this point. You may end up just having to wait until the new "Obamacare" programs come out. Then you can buy ins even with your preexisting condition. Some states even now have special ins programs for people with preexisting conditions and who dont qualify for medicaid. You should check with PA. Good luck.


Typically, yes, but depends on the amount.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer