Skip to main content

Would it be sufficient to just provide the most recent tax year (2012) in Part 6 (13a) on form I-864 or should fill in all 3 ?

Baltimore, MD |

I'm gearing up to submit the affidavit of support (I-864) ,but i'm wondering if its mandatory to submit the most 3 recent tax year information as requested in part 6 section 13a -13c. I'm the joint sponsor and i currently have a copy of only my most recent income tax return form (2012) , i can't seem to find the 2011 and 2010.

A point to note: They were filed , the only issue is that they have been misplaced and i can't find them

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Here is one reasonable thing that must be done:
Any such submission should be reviewed for adherence to the federal requirements and accuracy by a competent immigration attorney with a valid law license before submission.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


It is not necessary to file 3 year's tax returns in many cases. The key is to show stable U.S. qualified earnings. The petitioner should have you consult with an immigration attorney to review income requirements.

Below, I've included a link with more information.

Call: 888.483.0311. Information provided is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.