Skip to main content

Would household income disqualify someone from Medicaid eligibility in Texas?

Houston, TX |

My mother gifted a duplex to my brother and me, & she has since died. My brother has social security income of $1000/mo, and no assets or cash. I have a job and multiple assets. We want to live in opposite sides of the duplex; each has a separate address but shares the same utility meters. He wants to apply for Medicaid. Is there a chace that Medicaid consider this 1 dwelling and if so, would our separate incomes somehow be considered a household income that might disqualify him? What is considered a "household"?

+ Read More

Filed under: Social security
Attorney answers 1


In order for your brother to apply for Medicaid, his share of the duplex needs to be titled in his name only, and your share of the duplex needs to be titled in your name only. Your income should not disqualify him because you live separately (albeit in a duplex) from him. Furthermore, make sure you do not have joint accounts.

The comment provided above is intended as general information and IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. If your question concerns Estate Planning, Trusts, Elder Law, Probate, Trust Adminstration, or Guardianship, and is governed by the laws of the State of Texas, then you might wish to contact our firm, which is The Mendel Law Firm, L.P., 1155 Dairy Ashford, Suite 104, Houston, TX 77079, O: 281-759-3213, F: 281-759-3214,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer