Skip to main content

Would getting a lawyer help me for a d.u.i?

La Habra, CA |

first time offense getting a d.u.i, I blew a little over the legal limit I believe a .18? I'm 22 and 120 pounds. My car was not towed I got to leave the same night but I got my license suspended for 30 days so far I have a court date to appear to but its over 30 days from now wondering if getting a lawyer would help speed the process up for me? Or would it not matter either way I'm guilty.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If you were really a 0.18%, you weren't "a little over" - you were more than twice the limit specified in Vehicle Code 23152(b). The "legal limit" is 0.08%.

You only have (or had?) 10 days from the date of your arrest to challenge the automatic suspension of your license by the DMV. If you didn't do anything, then your license would be suspended for 4 months. You can get a restricted license after 30 days if you enroll in the alcohol program, have a current SR-22 filed and pay the DMV $125.

If you're just looking to wrap up your case sooner without a fight (why would you not at least want to know what the evidence is against you or what defenses you might have?), then your attorney could potentially advance the court date and take care of things. Your attorney can also try to coordinate the suspension that would result from the conviction so there isn't a double suspension period and you can continue on your restricted license.

It's at least worth sitting down face to face with a lawyer to assess the case and your options.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.


I agree with my colleague, if you blew .18 then you were way over the limit. Also, I would refrain from posting on public sites that you were guilty--just keep it to the facts. I think that you should consult a DUI attorney, as most provide a free consultation. You can have questions answered and being more educated about moving forward, and learning how complicated the DMV and court system will be if you face it alone. Before entering any plea, you should call a lawyer right away. Best of luck.


.08 is the legal Limit. If you blew a .18 then you were over twice the legal limit and are in enhanced Punishment territory at over .15