Skip to main content

Would F2 visa get accepted

Chicago, IL |

I am presently doing MS in USA in F1 visa.I have the necessary fund as shown in I20 to complete the course.However I don't have an assistantship at present and I am doing an hourly oncampus job in which I earn $1068 per month.
Now I want to apply for F2 visa of my wife and I do have the modified fund in I20 that will be required to show for her presence over here.Is there any chance that it can get rejected when she will go for stamping at US consulate in India.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Non-immigrant visas are subjective. If financial support, intent to come back home etc are all shown, it should be approved. But I've seen a lot of instances abroad where the intent and relationship in a derivative non-immigrant application (F2 for example) are legit yet the consul denies it. Same goes for tourist visa applications - you can have proper intent to simply visit and even have enough financial income and ties back home, but they get denied sometimes. But your question was whether there is a "chance" of rejection, and the honest answer is yes (that goes for everything). But on whether it SHOULD be approved, it's an F2, you're the husband, you're maintaining status and can support her, so it should be fine.

JP Sarmiento, Esq.
(216) 573-3712


There is always a chance it could be rejected and you do have to show sufficient income for her to live in the U.S. It is doubtful that your on-campus employment alone will be sufficient.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


As you may correctly expect, all requirements for your F-2 Beneficiary must be met for a successful completion of that submission., If you or your Beneficiary do not meet certain requirements for the above filing, it will not be approved.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer