Would applying for disability benefits due to mental health in addition to physical disabilities hurt me later in life?

Savannah, GA |

I am a 48 yrs old educator with a terminal degree. I worked for 15 years at both K-12 and higher education settings. I have 39% permanent disability. I suffer from fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease (back and neck), and ADD, severe anxiety and depression which has impacted my health tremendously. I am worried that if I apply for disability benefits due to mental health I might regret it in the future. Any recommendation would greatly be appreciated.

Best Answer

A mental disability rating indicative of severe impairment can have a negative impact for certain professional licensing requirements as well as firearms rights; it can also be persuasive in legal actions including guardianship. Get a consult w/ a local attorney so you can know more.

Jonathan Caver

Jonathan Caver

I agree with Mr. Early's answer and strongly encourage you to consult a local attorney, because I think in many cases, it makes sense to make mental health issues a part of the claim despite the theoretical possibility of negative consequences such as those Mr. Early mentions. An attorney who works in this area of law could discuss your specific concerns and help you figure out a plan of action.

The Social Security proceedings are not public information so I cannot see why if you are found disabled due to mental incapacity it will hurt you later if you get better.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

Disability applications are private. You control what will be said later.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.

Depends what your plans are later in life, so have a local lawyer discuss it with you.