Would a 17 yr old be considered a runaway and be forced to come home?

Southington, CT |

I'm am just curious to see the answer and if i were to go away for a few months without my parents permission would i be forced to come. Or if i left a note telling them where i was going and when I'd be back would the cops see it as a runaway case?

The law authorizes police officers to look for runaway 16- and 17-year olds. Police officers who find them may report their location to their parents, refer them to Juvenile Court, take them to an agency that serves children, or keep them in custody for up to 12 hours. Cited from http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0187.htm

This answer is not intended or offered as legal advice, and thus the reader should not rely on any information provided in this answer as such. Readers should not consider the information provided to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and should always seek the advice of an independent attorney. People seeking specific legal advice or assistance should contact an attorney. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Khan Legal Group, LLC at the e-mail address set forth in this web site will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. The content of this answer contains general information and may or may not reflect the current legal developments of Connecticut law. Attorney Khan is not licensed to practice law in any state but Connecticut.