Skip to main content

Worried in Texas sued for credit card debt

Kerrville, TX |

Doesn't your Social Security just become money when it it is direct deposit in a bank? Thus that being said isn't it subject to garnishment by a court inTexas, it is the only income that gets put in a joint checking account to pay everyday bills. Direct Deposit is the only way we can recieve our Social Security from the U.S.Government.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Before they can obtain a writ of garnishment against your bank account, they must first obtain a judgment. That means they have to sue you. They sue on relatively few cases because of the expenses involved, and because under Texas law so much of your property is exempt. So don't worry about it. If you get personally served with a petition and citation, you will have to take action. I recommend that you go to legal aid and see if they will represent you. If the answer is no, there are a number of lawyers that specialize in the defense of credit card cases. I recommend that you locate one of them

The answer posted is based upon the assumption that the question is a complete, and correct statement of facts. No lawyer client relationship exists. This answer is intended for discussion purposes only. You must discuss this legal problem with your own attorney.


Social Security Income is not garnishable unless you owe the federal government money or if you co-mingle your SSI with other money. If you only have your SSI money in that account, a creditor can't garnish your account.


The website lists what type of debts can be collected from SS benefits. Your problem is you are co-mingling funds and that could hurt your. But, is there even a judgement at this point? consult a local attorney for specific answers to your concerns.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice. Please contact us at 954-916-2667 or in Florida for a FREE evaluation and legal advice pertaining to your particular claim.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer