Skip to main content

Working cash job while on H4 visa.

Los Angeles, CA |

I am on H1B work permit and my spouse is on H4 visa. He was on H1B earlier, but since he was not in good terms with his employer, He had quit the job with H1B employer and now he is on H4 visa (He is currently in search of employers who can sponsor his H1B work permit). Meanwhile he had worked on a cash job for about 4 months from October last year till January this year. He had to fight for his payments from his previous H1B employer when he quit his job and now somehow his previous employer came to know that he had worked on a cash job while being on H4 and threatening my spouse that they will complain to USCIS about the cash job that he worked on for 4 months and put him and me in trouble. Is this going to affect our visa statuses? Will I be in trouble as well since he is my dependent?

To be specific, can/will USCIS entertain these kind of complaints from previous employers or any one anonymous? I understand that my spouse might not get his H1B visa/work permit approved and might be deported, What risk does this pose to my immigration status - Does the H1B visa holder gets affected as well (during visa extensions, green card etc) if his/her H4 dependent engages in these kind of activities?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You did not violate the terms of your visa so you should be okay.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


While on H-4, you cannot work in the US, whether that work is paid or unpaid. Period.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


If you did work cash job you are in violation of your status.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.