Skip to main content

Workers compensation. I had a slip and fall injury at work. what detmines me getting a settlement?

North Hollywood, CA |

i have injuried my back and my neck and have extreme head aches. My workers comp has been accepted. I work as a Probation Officier I may never be able to this job again.Whats my compensation (besides my days off and medical)? Will i get a settlement?How long does it take to recive a settlement.

Also i have a fractured ankle in which this fall has injured more.I also have a claim for this prior injury.I now have a workers comp including my left knee and left calf muscle. I am on permanate disabilty for 3 weeks now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have multiple issues that require a thorough intake before a meaningful or correct answer can be given. Workers compensation attorneys do not charge for an initial consultation and most fees are paid directly by the insurance company. An attorney representing you has a duty to pursue all benefits due to you. Insurance company claims adjusters are not going to notify you as to all of the benefits to which you are entitled. Their interest is to close the file as early and efficiently – to them – as possible.

Workers compensation benefits are controlled by statute in each state. Workers compensation attorneys are a very special breed and they specialize in this area with knowledge of the state statutes and regulations that dictate what benefits are available to workers who are injured during and in the course of employment. Anyone injured in the course of employment should retain a workers compensation attorney.

Presenting and recovering from a workers compensation claim requires more documentation than probably any other type of personal injury claim. The requirement to submit documentation is ongoing until the claim is over.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.


You need to consult with an experienced workers compensation attorney who can assist you in getting a permanent disability award. If the slip and fall was caused by a third party or entity other than your employer, you may also have a third party personal injury claim for which you should consult an experienced personal injury attorney.


If your claim has been accepted and your medicla expenses and lost wages are being paid for, then any settlement will probably depend upon if you have permanent injuries. You will need to discuss your claim with an experienced workers comp attorney in California. You should be able to obtain a free consultation.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer