Skip to main content

Work Visa fro Non Profit Organization

Miami, FL |

I'm 28 years, Argentinian/ Colombian. Currently Living in Buenos Aires. citizen and I have an offer from a U.S. NGO to work with them. Will be the first time they sponsor someone. They are really small (less than 10 people) but legally approved in the US. They can become a working Visa Sponsor, but they can hire me as a Contractor. Is There a way they Apply for work visa as contractor? What kind of visa could be? My experience is about seven years in Communications & Marketing & Public Relations and I have four years of university studies without the formal title. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You cannot be a contractor generally. Your employer who sponsors you need to give you a W-2 salary.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks for your quick answer. So which type of visa the NGO should use to hire me? I am not sure the meaning about W-2 salary Thanks, Gracias!!


They should hire an immigration attorney to look into their options.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


What visa is most appropriate depends on the job requirements and your credentials. There are several types of visas to work in the United States. Your employer's attorney can best advise what visas are applicable and available. To address your question about what is a W-2, this relates to the type of employee you would be - an employee vs. an independent contractor. For an H-1B visa, for example, you cannot be an independent contractor. You must be a regular employee on payroll with appropriate taxes deducted.

V.K. Vandaveer, PLLC. 202-340-1215. This response is only general in nature and is not legal advice specific to your situation. Indeed, any response may differ significantly based on an attorney’s evaluation of your specific facts. No attorney-client relationship exists between you and the law firm or attorney Vonda K. Vandaveer as a result of this response. Avvo should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney. If you are seeking legal advice for your unique situation or legal representation, please email me at or call our office at 202-340-1215 to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.