Skip to main content

Work alternative programs for 2nd DUI, with driving on suspended license?

Oakland, CA |

My first DUI was in 2007 (five years ago). I completed all the required courses and paid all fines, but never went to DMV to get license reinstated. I just received my second DUI this past weekend, with a breathalyzer of .08/.09 and never reinstated my license. I want to avoid jail time and lose my job. I am willing to do whatever it takes (community service, SWAP, IID, AAA etc. ) Is it possible to avoid jail time? I am about to get married in a month and am paying child support, so I can't lose my job.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


you will need to contact a local DUI defense attorney

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.


Maybe. It is all going to depend on convincing the DA and judge. You will need a lawyer to help you with this.

Reliance on any information in this website is at the sole risk of the user and the user understands that he or she should consult with an attorney before taking a course of action based upon information contained in this website. The information on this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Every court has their own rules regarding alternative sentencing. You need to contact a local attorney to find out what the court's position is. Best of luck. Make sure you set the DMV hearing within 10 days.


It's possible, yes - with an .08/.09 DUI, you have a punchers chance of beating it, but you will need an experienced DUI attorney to assist you. I practice in Alameda County - feel free to contact me to discuss your case further. Also - don't forget to request your DMV hearing within 10 days of your arrest.

Mr. Feasel is a former Deputy DA in the SF Bay Area with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.


I have been defending DUIs in Oakland, CA for 20 years, and the VP of the California DUI Lawyer's Associationr, the largest Private DUI Defense Organization in CA, and if everything you said is true, the answer is YES, YOU CAN STAY OUT OF JAIL. There may be an better outcome than you might think. You can call me and I will be happy to talk to free of charge. Make sure to request your dmv hearing within 10 days of arrest, and if you have not done this yet, my office will do this for you for free. You will be entitled to a license, and for your job and new family this should be important. Get in to see me immediately, Donald Gray Drewry (510) 346-6666. Given your facts, if they are correct, you will do fine.



I was also charged with driving on a suspended license, will this change the outcome? I already have an appointment to see you tomorrow


You need a local OWI/DUI/DWI lawyer, now.
If possible, reinstate your license now, even if you might lose it again.
An arrest for a DUI is not the same as a conviction.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: