Skip to main content

Won DV Lottery, case number EU428XX (Russia). Have multi-entry B1/B2 visa for 3 years. What to do?

Baltimore, MD |

Respectful Sir/ Madam,
I am from Russia, and yesterday I won in DV Lottery, but my case number is pretty high (EU428XX). However, I have looked into forums and found out that in this year some EU selectees have numbers even about 53XXX.
I have also current 3-year-lasting B1/B2 multivisa and possibilities of research position in the US by the end of 2013 on J1 (without 2year return rule) or H1b visa.
What will increase my chances of getting GreenCard? If I apply ASAP through Kentucky center being in Russia or if I apply for Adjustment of Status being in USA (being on B1/B2, or possible J1 or H1b visas)?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

There is nothing you can do te increase the chances that your number will be reached. A J-1 could subject you to a two-year foreign residency requirement which could bar you from immigrating under the DV if your number is reached.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Normally you want to file something right away, so go with what you are currently eligible for, the Kentucky filing. Waiting to get a J-1 or H-1B could make your filing so late that it is not processing in time and you lose your lottery chance.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer