Skip to main content

With the exception of expected privacy area's, where can I place security cameras for my home based business?

Newport Beach, CA |

-Do my customers, contractors and employees have to be notified there are security cameras in place?
-Do they have to be visible?
-How can I ensure the security footage is admissible in court should a crime occur?
-Recording audio with video is illegal without consent, correct?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


California's wiretapping law requires that all parties to the communication consent to the recording. Under California Penal Code Section 632 it is a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, which includes private conversations and telephone calls, without the consent of all parties to the conversation.

I suggest you make your employees sign an acknowledgment that puts them on notice that there will be cameras recording them while on the premises. You might also consider posting signs to ensure that there is no expectation of privacy. Keep in mind that you can not have cameras everywhere, including the restroom. An attorney can help you draft the appropriate documents.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Blair

Contact me for a FREE case consultation 310-550-1555, email: I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Answers must not be relied upon. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer