With B1/B2 visa, can I apply for a Social Security Number?

New York, NY |

Hello, My husband and me have visa B1/B2, and immigration officer gave us 6 months to stay in U.S.. We decided to use this chance and to work here. But we need a SSN. Can we apply for it??? We know that having B1/B2 visa is illegal to work in U.S., but may be there is a solution?!

You cannot legally work in B-1/B-2 status, and it is extremely unlikely that any Social Security Office will give you an SSN. You normally need to show that your immigration status allows you to work before you can get an SSN. I advise you to try to get a status that allows work rather than work here in visitor status.

Not correct. per Social security website you can get if you have a "need." but Driver License and "like to have" are not enough reasons. You don't need SSN to get Driver License. Also ,if you get a SSN under visa status it will show that you are not eligible to work.

Elaine Martin

Elaine Martin

What is "not correct" in my answer?

Please help: I have a 5-year visa B1/B2 per visit Get on the entry of the United States of America 6 months and after that I must leave .. I have a sister living here holds American citizenship and has two children and U.S. citizens .. She suffers from cancer and has surgery .. What manner in which it is possible to get permission to work or get a Social Security number

It's only issued if you have a valid reason for it (eg. just because you want to have ssn, regardless of how much, is not a valid reason) There have been instances that the employee mistakenly issues ssn to b1/b2 but even in that case, the card shows "no permission to work". You may be able to change our visa to one that allows you to work and then get both ssn and permission to work. Talk to an attorney; normally the consultation is either free or in the range of $50-$100. ... Just like doctor, get at least two Some small places may not actually check the ssn card although doing so is technically illegal >