Skip to main content

With a chptr 7 property will be liquidated to pay creditors, how can i acquire said auto thats in this bankruptcy.who sells auto

Ghent, KY |

i do work for banks on foreclosed homes an thers an auto on property that is also n chptr7 with home,abandoned. also has a dealer lien. who sells the auto?bank?city? how can i take legal possession. thx u

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You'd need to get in touch with the particular trustee involved with a cas to see how he would dispose of whatever property that is being liquidated in a particular case. The process of how to actually dispose of property is up to the trustee and the property is usually going to be auctioned.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).


Talk with the Trustee ASAP because he may abandon the property thinking it's worthless (which makes it go back to the dealer).

IMO, because cars are not very expensive, it's not worth taking subject to the liens on it. You are better off waiting for the trustee to abandon the property and then contacting the entity that owns the note.

For example, car value = $5,000; note on car = $12,000. The bank would love to give it to you for 5k and possibly less.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.


I agree that you need to contact the trustee. Kentucky uses the federal exemptions; therefore, if there is little equity in the car the owner may be able to keep it if he is up to date on his payments. As you stated the vehicle is abandoned; therefore, it is unlikely the owner is making payments.

None of the comments made by attorney John Dunigan should be considered legal advice. Further, comments made by attorney John Dunigan do not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer