Skip to main content

Will zillow work for a house appraiser in divorce court or should i have it done by a appraiser ?

Riverside, CA |

my soon to be X put the house at a real hi #, house is no where near that thinking i should have it appraiser do it .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you have to present evidence to the Court, then you will need a proper appraisal and the appraiser expert to testify about the findings. If there is a possibility of settling, then the Zillow guestimate may be satisfactory, but not as proper evidence before the Court.

The answer provided is a general response based upon information contained in the query which has not been substantiated or otherwise verified. For complete advice particular to your individual situation, you should consult with an attorney in your local area that is well versed in family law.


Zillow can be way off depending on recent comparables (sold, pendings, active) and also unique property characteristics. If you do not want to pay for an appraisal (typically $350 or more) a realtors written opinion through a CMA including similar comparables may be adequate enough but the Judge will likely require an appraisal.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by giving this answer no attorney client relationship is intended or entered into and unless there is a signed fee agreement in place, neither myself nor anyone in my firm has intended to solicit clients nor do we represent them. The answers are general in nature and may be given without weighing or knowing all of the specifics of any particular question or situation. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, in a decision to act or not to act in pursuit of any potential claims or actions. You should always consult with and obtain the advice or representation of a licensed attorney in your state to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.


I don't find Zillow or appraisal very accurate. If you need a really accurate value, use a licensed appraiser.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


In order for facts to be admitted into evidence in a family law case a live person with expertise must be able to recite their skills and training, valuation analysis methodology, and expert opinion. They must be present in court to be examined, cross-examined and queried by the judge. An appraiser or real estate agent are qualified to offer this testimony.