Skip to main content

Will Wyoming speeding ticket affect my Iowa license?

Yellowstone National Park, WY |

I received a speeding ticket of 16mph in Yellowstone National Park. I'm thinking to contest this ticket because the reason why I speed is that I found almost everyone behind me tried to pass me when I drove at the limit. I decided to follow the traffic and got pulled by the police, just because I was the last one of the traffic. However, when I called the central violation bureau, the clerk told me since the ticket is issued in Wyoming and Wyoming won't put any points on my driving license. If what she said is true, I'll just pay the ticket because the cost of contesting the ticket will be much higher than just paying it. ( thinking of flying to yellowstone again or hiring a attorney)
Should I trust her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The basic rules of the road as far as speed is concerned is to obey the posted speed. I realize everyone in Wyoming drives faster than what is allowed. (Were you 16mph over the limit, or 16mph and the posted speed less?) You got picked up, and that is the end of it. Just because others were doing it, does not mean you are not responsible. So, I think contesting the ticket will get you no where except a fine and court costs. The second issue is who picked you up? Ranger/Park Police? Finally, Wyoming does not use a point system on their licenses, rather the focus is on the total number of moving violations within a set period of time. Since you likely will not prevail on the contest, your best bet is probably to pay the ticket. I would recommend you speak with a criminal attorney in the Cody/Jackson area. They could probably give you a firm answer on this point.

This answer was provided for general informational purposes only and is not an offer to represent you. You should not act, nor refrain from acting, based upon any information contained within this answer. Neither the information in this answer, nor your receipt of it, creates an attorney-client relationship.


Consult with a local attorney. they'll give you better advice than a CVB clerk who would just prefer less paperwork.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia





"Most states have interstate reciprocal agreements that require them to share information on convictions for moving violations. The most common is the Driver License Compact (DLC), signed by 45 states plus the District of Columbia.

DLC-member states agree to report out-of-state convictions to each other. In addition, when a state suspends the license of an out-of-state driver, that driver’s home state is encouraged to do the same. So if you receive a DUI while on spring break in Florida and your driver’s license is suspended in that state, your home state can also suspend your license.

Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin are not DLC members"

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer