Skip to main content

Will working under a false Social Security number affect my future immigration status or implication for "deferred action"?

Los Angeles, CA |

i came to the US on a Visa when i was 11 months, worked with a false SSN but did taxes with my iTIN. i have not worked under that SSN for about a year now. I'm an AB540 student, will this affect my deferred action application?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should be OK.

Now is the time to meet with an attorney.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You should be okay. The only thing I would caution you on is if you are using someone else's social, there could be identity theft implications. You should talk to an attorney before applying for anything to review your documents.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You should be fine, but I would consult with an attorney regarding all the specifics of your case. It is possible you have not taken into consideration things which can impact your application; which is why I would recommend going through a licensed attorney.

I am available for a free consultation over the phone.

Best of luck,

Sanjay Paul, Esq.
(888) DREAM-02

This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.