Skip to main content

Will we need a lawyer to represent us?

Salt Lake City, UT |

My husband and I have been married for 2 years. We applied for an adjustment of status for him. Before we were married he had tried to file through his first wife, then they got divorced. He then applied for TPS. He was given an order to Show Cause and Notice Hearing, The Board of Immigration Appeals administratively closed his proceedings so that he can apply for TPS. We received a letter from Immigration with a rejection of status because now it is not in their jurisdiction as an administrative closure does not mean termination of proceedings. His file has been transferred to the Office of Chief Counsel, and ICE. We submitted a letter to the EOIR group stating that he was eligibel through 245i. I told him that we should get a lawyer. He said it would not be necessary.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer