Skip to main content

Will we be at risk of our marriage being broken up because of my financial situation?

Joplin, MO |

I fell in love with a man who is not a U.S. citizen. I am on S.S.I and he does not have a worker's permit yet. When we marry will we be at risk of our marriage being broken up because of my financial situation? I don't want to lose him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You marriage cannot be broken up by any one as a consequence of your finances. But your ability to keep your husband with you in the United States will be effected by many factors one of which is the requirement that you will need to have a joint sponsor with sufficient finances to sign an affidavit of support unless of course you have previously worked for 40 quarters Please view the requirements at

Additionally unless your partner entered the U.S legally he will have to leave the country go for a consular interview and obtain a waiver of illegal presence if he has been illegally present for more than 6 months. Please consult with a competent family immigration attorney.


You should find a joint sponsor who meets the requisite financial ability to sponsor your futue husband. Please have an immigration lawyer assist you.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


No government agency has to power to break your marriage. Only the two of you do.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.