Skip to main content

Will using a fake credit card for hotel booking get me in trouble?

New York, NY |

I have used a fake credit card number to book a hotel for 2 weeks. I changed my plans and did not go to the hotel. Is it possible that my IP will be tracked and the hotel will try to demand compensation or take me to court for making a fake booking? I should add that the credit card number did not belong to anyone, i.e. the number was not even a valid number but the online website I booked the hotel through, did not distinguish that the number is fake.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The short answer is yes, you have committed a crime, namely identity theft, among some other possibilities. It is possible for an IP address to be tracked back to you. If you are contacted by the police, hire an attorney immediately. Do not attempt to resolve it yourself.


You committed a felony. The hotel probably won't pursue it because it didn't lose any money. You would have been caught when you tried to check in.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Yes, you can get in to trouble. You fabricated a credit card number and used it to make a purchase. Your IP can be tracked. No one can predict what action the hotel might take. If problems arise, immediately consult with a criminal attorney.

This is not legal advice. Seek a consultation with an attorney in your jurisdiction. An attorney/client relationship is not sought or formed by the participation in this website. I am licensed to practice law in New York and New Jersey.