Will they take me to jail for being unable to pay my fines?

Cleveland, TX |

I'm seventeen. I got caught with a very small amount of weed, spent 13 days in jail, and now I'm on one years probation. But I Have yet to find a job because I'm not 18 yet. And I have barely paid any money on my fines. I have gone to every meeting with my PO and done all my community service and about to do my drug offenders class.

Do absolutely everything required of you, and keep a running account of all money you get in, and all money you spend. You cannot have any "extras". Inability to pay is a defense, but it is hard. (You might try to find a local lawyer who will help you. The judge can give you credit for your jail time toward your fines so that you only have fees, and you may also be able to get the amount of your fees reduced.)

Cynthia Henley
713-222-1220

I've already been on for a few months. I'm going to see my PO tomorrow and talk to someone about getting some fines turned into more community service. I don't get any money in. I'm only 17 and still relying on my dad and we're broke. Really broke. No one can help me. And it's hard and stressful. I don't want to go to jail and I can't afford a lawyer.

You don't have to be 18 to get a job. Start applying anywhere and everywhere. Make a payment toward your fines every month--even if you cannot pay the full amount. In some counties, the collections department has the authority to allow you to do community service in lieu of payment. This is something else you might look into. Keep working hard and you will get thru it.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Thanks for the advice! I've been applying everywhere but most places won't hire because of my age and others just aren't hiring.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Unfortunately this case probably isn't helping you. If you get to the end of probation and still owe money, you can get an agreed extension rather than a violation. But that's just a last resort option.

Honestly I'd much rather do that than go to jail. Since I've been on prob. I have changed a lot.

I already had an appointment scheduled to see if I could get fines transferred into community service. I go tomorrow along with my regular meeting with my PO.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Yes. Definitely do everything you can to preserve your deferred probation. Sounds like you are on it! Best of luck!

If your only issue is money then you are unlikely to be revoked. It is likely that your probation might be extended.

www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Judge Chambers might make you do extra community service to pay those fines, if not then he will probably extend probation. Ask your PO if they can do a financial study on you.