Skip to main content

Will the divorce court give me an appointed lawyer here in NJ?

Bayonne, NJ |

Legal aid said that they're not dealing with divorce cases right now so no one can't represent me in court. So what happens if I show up with no lawyer, will the court give me one? If not... how much is it for a lawyer to just represent me? This is an uncontested divorce.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You have to either hire a lawyer or represent yourself. There are no public defenders assigned to divorce cases. As far as the costs associated in representing clients in an uncontested divorce, costs can vary depending upon the surrounding facts and circumstances of the particular case in question.

Many attorneys bill an initial retainer which they charge hourly against that retainer or can bill a flat rate. Shop around to see the costs associated with hiring a lawyer. Even in an uncontested divorce, it is a time consuming process that can get complicated quickly.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

David S. Delugas

David S. Delugas


Your question and the information you provide suggests an "uncontested divorce," which means it ought to be straight forward AS LONG AS you can keep it uncontested and that means agreeing on everything with your spouse. That would mean you don't have a court hearing at which to present evidence and fight. If you are battling, then you need to be prepared either with an attorney or on your own (not impossible, many do it, but you need to know what you are doing the best you can). Hire an attorney, flat fee might be best so you know what you are spending and have budgeted for it.


The court will not assign you an attorney to represent you in a divorce matter. To secure an attorney to represent your interest you may want to consult with a number of attorneys and find one that you are most comfortable with. Avvo is a fine place to find attorneys in your area with family law experience. You will find that the rate attorneys charge for services vary between a range of $200 a hour to $500 a hour.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


I agree with all the other answers. Even in an uncontested divorce case, there can be complications, and it is usually advisable to have a Property Settlement Agreement in place that can deal with post dissolution issues like debts, assets, pensions, etc.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.


No you are not entitled to a " free lawyer" for a divorce case absent some extreme circumstance such as you not being mentally competent to represent yourself. Other than that I can think of no other instant where the court would consider appointing an attorney to represent you.


Contact your local county bar association and ask if it has an attorney referral program. I know Middlesex County has one and I believe part of that program is known as the reduced fee program. Attorneys participating in this reduced fee program agree to charge set rates, which are typically lower than rates clients would otherwise find. Note that these fees do not suggest that attorneys are over-charging; these reduced rates greatly cut into the attorneys' income and ability to support a law office. They offer the program as a way to provide legal services to a greater percentage of the population. You can view details of the Middlesex County program here: (copy and paste into your web browser)

Contact your county bar association and ask if it has a similar program. Whether it does or does not, your best course of action in any litigation, including divorce, is to retain your own attorney to represent your best interests. I wish you the best of luck.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer