Skip to main content

Will Tennessee suspend my license strictly for an out-of-state (DLC member) breathalyzer refusal?

Memphis, TN |

I have a NJ license, got a DUI (and subsequently refused a breathalyzer) in PA, and pleaded into their "ARD" program (i.e. no DUI conviction). Now PA wants to suspend my license (a separate civil case/administrative matter) for one year because I refused. I am moving to TN in one month and am wondering if it is smarter to get my TN license before my driving privileges are suspended in PA, or just keep my NJ license and hope for the best!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to get a TN licenses ASAP. Prior to suspention, its the only way you can get a restricted licenses in TN. Let me know if you need a lawyer in Memphis to get restricted licenses hearing done.
Claiborne Ferguson

Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.


I agree. You should get a license fast but due to Homeland Security almost all DMVs are connected so it may not save you from getting your license suspended. You may be able to lessen the damage with a valid TN DL. Good luck to you.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer