Skip to main content

Will temporary guardianship work for international travel?

Atlanta, GA |

I'd like to go on a cruise with my best friend and her family, but because my parents won't be coming, Carnival says I have to travel with another adult. I don't have anyone I can go with, and my mom suggested that they obtain temporary guardianship. Will this work? I don't want it to be anymore of a hassle than it already is for them, considering the cruise is next month. Thanks in advance to any responses.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This doesn't sound like a legal question, just a question as to what Carnival requires as proof that you're traveling with another adult. You say you're going with your friend's "family." Does that mean parents are involved? Will Carnival accept their representation that they (the parents) are responsible for you, plus your mother's statement that she grants her permission for them to be your temporary custodian? Ask Carnival. This hardly requires a legal "guardianship" proceeding or orders from a probate court.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-668-3790 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at don@HawbakerLaw.) An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer